Just a spoonful...of sugar...of spice...of anything that we think tastes good. Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies. And who can resist chocolate chip cookie dough? So how about chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes with cookie dough filling and cookie dough frosting! We have made these as full size cupcakes and as mini cupcakes. We prefer the mini cupcakes...just the right amount!
Here are a few of the things you are going to need...
Notice how the chocolate chip container is a little low...hmmm wonder if someone has been dipping into it? OK. Moving right along. When you cream the butter and sugar together this is what you get. Yum.
Then when you get to the part where you add the chocolate chips...what can I say?
We find it really easy to fill a lot of cupcake papers using a small cookie scoop.
After the cupcakes are cool use a small spoon or fork to scoop out some of the middle of the cupcake so the filling will have some room.
Now what to do with all of that cupcake that you just scooped out. Well I guess you could make cupcake pops or throw it away....or just take a break and EAT IT!
This is the filling...with chocolate chips. Of course!
We tried to use a bottle to fill the cupcakes but it just didn't work...too thick of filling. A cake decorating bag worked out just fine.
They look good just like that...before we even frost them. But you just HAVE to have frosting or icing or frosting. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. Let's check. Webster says."Icing: a sweet flavored usually creamy mixture used to coat baked goods. Frosting: icing." Well, OK then.
And ta-da. Well, it needs a little something.
Much better with just a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips.
And look at the creamy cookie dough filling.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
adapted from TidyMom who adapted it from Annie's Eats who adapted it from...etc.
1 & 1/2 cups of butter, at room temperature
1 & 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 & 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line cupcake pans with paper liners (24 big or about 50 mini).
3. Cream butter and brown sugar together on med- high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping bowl after each egg.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
5. Start with the dry ingredients and add them to the mixing bowl (with the butter/sugar mixture) alternating with the milk on low speed. Start and end with the dry ingredients, mixing each addition just until incorporated.
6. Mix in the vanilla.
7. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spoon.
8. Scoop the batter evenly into the cupcake liners. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes for regular size and about 12 minutes for mini. As always check a few minutes before the time is up to allow for differences in oven temperatures. Allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes then remove and cool completely.
While the cupcakes are baking and cooling make your cookie dough filling.
Cookie Dough Filling:
4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 & 1/8 cups flour
10 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl on med-high until light and fluffy, about 2 1/2 minutes.
2. Add flour, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
3. Stir in chocolate chips.
After the cupcakes have cooled, scoop with a small spoon or fork some of the middle of the cupcake out. (about a teaspoon worth). Then fill each cupcake with some of the filling using a cake decorating bag and tip.
Cookie Dough Frosting:
1 & 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. milk
2 & 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Cream butter and brown sugar on high speed until creamy and fluffy (about 3 minutes.)
2. Mix in powdered sugar until smooth.
3. Beat in the flour and salt.
4. Mix in the milk and vanilla until smooth and combined.
Frost the cupcakes using a cake decorating bag and 1M tip. Decorate with mini semisweet chocolate chips.